Over the years, UVAA has produced many fine singers that have gone on to sing for major opera companies, win thousands of dollars in scholarship money for colleges and conservatories, and earn cash awards. (Click on the video to the right to hear 5-year UVAA alum, Jonah Hoskins, who won the grand prize at the 2020 Metropolitan Opera Opera National Council Auditions in New York). We are highly invested in discovering vocal talent during the teen years, Thus, in order to make serious study of voice possible for a broader demographic, we are offering a few partial scholarships to study with Dr. Hurtado at UVAA. Scholarship awards and amounts will be determined by a live audition/mini lesson.
Scholarship winners will need to demonstrate the following qualifications for consideration:
1. Be between the ages of 14-17 years old.
2. Demonstrate significant potential in operatic singing (no need to be a polished singer yet).
3. Have an interest in developing a classical/operatic vocal technique.
4. Have a strong desire to pursue singing in college.
5. Make a minimum one year commitment to study voice at least one hour per week at UVAA.
6. Be committed to practicing voice 1-2 hours daily.
7. Show financial need.
8. Be committed to work independently on sight reading, aural skills, and basic theory.
*Scholarships may be revoked at any time if student does not meet the above commitments.
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship, please fill out BOTH the 'Student Information' form and the 'Scholarship Application' below. These are separate forms and you must click 'submit' on both. We will contact you to set up a time for your audition.